Studying in another country, away from homeland, is an enriching experience for the aspirants. The experience can both be academically and personally rewarding. Yet, it is always good to collect all the relevant information about the country before making your decisions. Here are some things that all 'study abroad' hopefuls should know about:
- If you are going abroad for higher studies, you should first check the reputation of the university or the institute you choose to pursue your studies. Make efforts to know about 'which university is the reputed one, for the subject I'm aspiring for?'
- Study about the laws and cultural affairs of the country before you make a decision to go there.
- As you are subject to the laws and custom of the foreign country, stay away from any disorderly, riotous behavior while you are in the new place.
- Apply for your passport at the earliest possible to avoid final moment confusions.
- Checkup with the embassy of the respective country to get information about visa-updates and other entry details.
- Read carefully the consular information sheet to make yourself familiar with the travel information about the respective country.
- The school or the university department, you are going to join, will offer information about different admission criteria for foreign students. You can get information from relevant websites too besides gathering the appropriate information from the ex-students of those universities.
- Going abroad for higher studies generally entails huge expenditure. Many universities offer student-funds and merit scholarships for international students. You can avail these funds and scholarships to meet your expenses.
- Personal interview is a part of the selection procedure of most universities and schools. Enhancing your communication skills and subject knowledge can help you face the interview with confidence.
Living in a foreign country is an interesting and learning experience. To have a wholesome and pleasant stay students must adapt themselves to culture of that country. For adaption students must first familiarise themselves with the customs and traditions of that particular country. Students can get country specific information from internet or through books.
Before going abroad for studying, students are generally apprehensive. Some of the doubts that may creep in students mind are:
- Is studying abroad more beneficial than studying at home?
- Whether I will be able to adapt to the culture of the country ?
- Can I cope with the financial and other demands of studying abroad?
- Can I look forward to a healthy life overseas?
To allay all these doubts we have come up with this guide for students going abroad.