Saturday, June 19, 2010


A Canadian temporary resident visa, often referred to as a tourist visa or visitor visa for Canada is a temporary Canadian immigration option allowing tourists to visit Canada for a maximum of six months.
A travel visa of this kind is required by nationals of some countries when visiting the country.
In Canada, visit visas of this kind are not intended as a route to settlement and do not offer permanent residence or the opportunity to apply for Canadian citizenship.
Visiting visas are issued on the understanding that you will not be permitted to work, and that you will depart on or before the expiry of your tourist visa.


Applying for a Canadian visit visa is the appropriate method if you wish to enter the country purely for the purpose of visiting.
Visitor visas is the popular route for over 35 million visitors and students each year and will allow you to stay for a period of up to six months.

Applications for visit visas can be submitted for one of three categories.
Single entry Canada Visitor Visa

This category allows you to visit Canada once for the duration of no more than six months.
However, once in the country you can apply for a Canadian visa extension so long as you do so no later than 30 days before the expiry of the original document.

Multiple Entry Canada Visitor Visa

Under this category, you may enter and depart on several occasions during the validity of the Canadian travel visa.
In this case, you will need to specify the length of time you require. The length of time subsequently awarded will be decided by an issuing case officer.

Transit Canada Visa

The third category is intended for people entering the country en route to another destination who will be spending no longer than 48 hours in the country.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to meet the eligibility requirements for a visiting visa, you will need to demonstrate that you:

  • Possess sufficient funds to support you and your family for the duration of your visit.
  • Do not intend to seek or undertake employment.
  • Have no criminal record and intend to abide by the laws of the country.
  • Do not pose a security risk.
  • You may also be required to complete a medical examination.

Working and studying in Canada

Whilst in the country on any of the above tourist visas it is not permitted to undertake employment.
If you wish to work during your time in the country, you will need an accompanying Canadian work permit. You may study so long as the course is short term and will not exceed the six months expiry date.

Spouses and Dependants

Spouse immigration or fiancé immigration are not specifically provided for under this route and your spouse, common law partner and dependent children over 18 years of age will need to apply for their own visiting visas and meet the appropriate criteria.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.


Immigration Information