Wednesday, January 27, 2010
By 2011, international students intending to study in Canada will be expected to provide biometric-fingerprints and photos along with their application
This new plan will require digital fingerprints at the application period rather than at the entry stage. Although the new biometrics plan isn't expected to be fully enforced until 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) thinks that it will certainly help reduce identity theft and increase the safety and security of Canadians.
In addition to students, fingerprints and photos taken in person will be mandatory for foreigners applying for temporary resident visas or work permits.
Even though this new system is seen as a progressive step forward, many critics are anticipating a decrease in student applications to Canada.
Cen Huang, Assistant Vice-President International of the University of Alberta is concerned that biometrics might "delay the process," making it more difficult for some to get to a consulate and quite possible, make potential students not feel welcomed.
Quite the contrary according to CIC, who have assessed results of other countries engaged in the same practice and noted that no significant decrease in enrolment has been found.
France and the U.S. currently require digital fingerprints as part of the application process while the U.K. plans to have its system in place by 2011. In Japan, digital fingerprints are mandatory at the point of entry for tourists but not during the application process.
Even though biometrics isn't being implemented in the U.K. until 2011, students are already being asked to provide their fingerprints and photographs to the Home Office. This information will then be crossed referenced with existing files and stored on their personal file as well as on the electronic chip on their identity cards.
On a related matter Canada has signed an agreement with the U.S. that previously included U.K. and Australia to share biometric information on asylum seekers.
Given the threat of terrorists and criminals crossing the Canadian - U.S. border, biometrics is seen as a preventative measure to combating asylum fraud and identity theft.
Despite the advantage of this agreement, Canada's privacy commissioner, Jennifer Stoddart is concerned that personal information gathered through biometrics will be used for secondary purposes.
However, Immigration Minister, Jason Kenny, contends that the sharing of biometric data will allow the government to identify individuals who "try to hide their past when trying to enter Canada". More importantly, the agreement allows countries to check each other's fingerprint databases for nationality, identity, travel, criminal and immigration history.
Even though privacy and civil rights are a concern, the four partners maintain that "no central database of fingerprints will be created," thereby not allowing "unfettered access to personal information."
If you are interested in Visas to Canada, contact Migration Expert for information and advice on which visa is best suited to you. You can also try our visa eligibility assessment to see if you are eligible to apply for a visa to Canada.
TAG : Haiti
- Demark Green Card Dependent visa
- Dubai Family Visa
- Cuba Visa
- Ielts For Canada Immigration
- Cost Of UK Student Visa
- Canada Visa Lottery 2012-2013
- Benefits Of Getting Visa Service
- Sponsorship Letter For Student
- Immigration Laws Reform
- Student Visa Norway
- EEA Family Permit Eligibility
- Diversity Lottery Program
- Medical Exams For USA Immigration
- 280 illegal Immigrants in California arrested by Immigration
- Immigration Processing for Typhon victims (Canada)
- Get a Job in Canada
- Top 10 Migration Issues of 2009
- Students immigration fast track Canada
- Canada ranks as top migration destination
- Jobs in UK
- 700 Million Worldwide wish to Emigrate
- Changes to British Nationality Law from January 2010
- Business Skills Migration (Australia)
- Canadian Government Immigration Plan to boost immigration
- Medical Professionals (Australia)
- Employer sponsored visas (Australia)
- Student Visa Of Australia
- US Green Card Lottery
- Life In UK Citizenship Test
- Finger Print Checks on UK Immigration
- Canada Immigration
- New Immigration Policy USA
- List of Universities in UK
- Australia Immigration
- USA Immigration
- UK Immigration for Family
- Children Born outside UK after 31
- Worker Registration Scheme of UK
- Canada Study Permits
- Immigration Information OF Developing Nation
- International Graduates Scheme
- Jobs Available in UK
- Medical Professional Australia
- UK business Immigration by Investment
- European Community Association
- World wide Immigration
- Immigration Information
- Which type of right Visa for us
- Australian general skilled Migration
- Update on Haiti
- Canadian Immigration News
- 140 Colleges suspended over Immigration
- USA-DV 2011 Green Card Lottery to Start
- Tips for student going abroad
- Tips for student living abroad
- UK Immigration & Nationality fee
- Ultimate Jobs program for America
- Obama Immigration Law Reform
- Why Study in Abroad
- Visa Projections
- Condition marriage visa in UK
- Hong Kong & Canada sign a Working Holiday Visa Program
- Breaking News: Israel to Freeze Jewish Immigration
- Australian Immigration News Review