Friday, January 18, 2013
Dual Citizenship South Africa
We frequently receive issues of South African passports seconds curious how it did, or did not complete their South African citizenship.Much confusion and different stories circulating on the Internet and South African ex pat communities whether South Africans are allowed dual citizenship and their correct to a passport second.
Much of this confusion stems from the regulations in the Citizenship Act of 1995, which stated: Withdrawal of citizenship based on nationality with another country.
The Minister may by order remove a citizen of South Africa South African nationality if he or she also has the citizenship or nationality of another country, and at any time made use of the franchise or facilities passport of that country or made some other voluntary act, to the approval of the Minister, indicates that this citizen has made use of the citizenship or nationality of that other country.
The understandable suggestion here is that the use of a second passport from a South African citizen would allow the Minister of the Interior to remove the rights of citizenship.
It is in some circles still widespread belief, but in fact, this part of the Act, which deals with dual citizenship and the use of another nationality / passport, a South African, was then revoked by the government.
The repeal of section 9, the government abolished the right of the Minister of the Interior to withdraw the status of South African citizen for having used the citizenship of a foreign country. In doing so, the previous requirements that would allow the use of a foreign passport, such as exemptions or letters of permission are no longer needed.
In other words, the citizens of South Africa can now use their foreign (second) while passports abroad.
However, that South African citizens should be aware that the decision came into force with the Citizenship Act Amendment of 2004. That an offense for an adult South African citizen to enter the Republic or derogate using the passport of another country. In addition to this, the South African citizen can not, while South Africa, using their foreign citizenship to gain an advantage or avoid a responsibility or duty.
In laymans terms this means a South African citizen, who has dual nationality (second passport) can use this without restraint outside South Africa, but when entering or leaving South Africa they must use their South African passport. http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/dualcitinfo.htm
The Department received a number of inquiries from our ports of entry on whether or not the South Africans who arrive at the border with a foreign passport may be refused to enter or leave the Republic. The department is required to apply the Act to amend the citizenship. However, we recognize that many South Africans affected may not be aware of changes to the Citizenship Act and the implications for themselves.
We therefore decided that affected South Africans departing or arriving at our ports of entry, try using a foreign passport will be issued with a warning giving them three months to obtain a South African passport . They will be allowed to leave or enter South Africa.
Therefore, we wish to inform all South Africans who have dual citizenship and have no South African passports to ask their South African passports at the first opportunity. Distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- Demark Green Card Dependent visa
- Dubai Family Visa
- Cuba Visa
- Ielts For Canada Immigration
- Cost Of UK Student Visa
- Canada Visa Lottery 2012-2013
- Benefits Of Getting Visa Service
- Sponsorship Letter For Student
- Immigration Laws Reform
- Student Visa Norway
- EEA Family Permit Eligibility
- Diversity Lottery Program
- Medical Exams For USA Immigration
- 280 illegal Immigrants in California arrested by Immigration
- Immigration Processing for Typhon victims (Canada)
- Get a Job in Canada
- Top 10 Migration Issues of 2009
- Students immigration fast track Canada
- Canada ranks as top migration destination
- Jobs in UK
- 700 Million Worldwide wish to Emigrate
- Changes to British Nationality Law from January 2010
- Business Skills Migration (Australia)
- Canadian Government Immigration Plan to boost immigration
- Medical Professionals (Australia)
- Employer sponsored visas (Australia)
- Student Visa Of Australia
- US Green Card Lottery
- Life In UK Citizenship Test
- Finger Print Checks on UK Immigration
- Canada Immigration
- New Immigration Policy USA
- List of Universities in UK
- Australia Immigration
- USA Immigration
- UK Immigration for Family
- Children Born outside UK after 31
- Worker Registration Scheme of UK
- Canada Study Permits
- Immigration Information OF Developing Nation
- International Graduates Scheme
- Jobs Available in UK
- Medical Professional Australia
- UK business Immigration by Investment
- European Community Association
- World wide Immigration
- Immigration Information
- Which type of right Visa for us
- Australian general skilled Migration
- Update on Haiti
- Canadian Immigration News
- 140 Colleges suspended over Immigration
- USA-DV 2011 Green Card Lottery to Start
- Tips for student going abroad
- Tips for student living abroad
- UK Immigration & Nationality fee
- Ultimate Jobs program for America
- Obama Immigration Law Reform
- Why Study in Abroad
- Visa Projections
- Condition marriage visa in UK
- Hong Kong & Canada sign a Working Holiday Visa Program
- Breaking News: Israel to Freeze Jewish Immigration
- Australian Immigration News Review